Monday, November 7, 2011

Origins

This blog began on a whim and partly out of frustration.  Recently, a friend sent me this short article on the loc revolution.  It eventually led me down this spiral of watching hairstyle tutorials on YouTube.  I realized that I wasn't really using my locs as an extension of myself.  Everyday I get up, put on clothes that I love, maybe do some makeup, but I seriously neglect my hairstyle.  When I started growing locs, it was because I had grown tired of the monotony of my afro.  I had fallen into the same pattern of never changing my hairstyle to suit my mood.  So, this is the whim part.  I wanted to document my loc journey and have it public for all vegans to see.  When I first began, I scoured the internet looking for tips and tricks for kinky vegan hair.  Surprisingly, there was little to be found so I pretty much just went with what I felt was best.

The frustration part happened a bit more slowly.  When I first became vegan, the movement was solely about food for me.  All I knew was that I didn't like killing things, and I wanted to know how to replace all of my favorite vegetarian things.  As the years progressed, I started caring more about beauty products.  One thing I noticed was that many 100% cruelty free companies completely disregarded people of color.  It became infuriating to go through site after site, never seeing makeup that matched my skin tone.  Several places I looked at in the beginning of my veganism didn't even have foundation beyond an olive color.  Additionally, I had trouble finding answers to my problems as an African American female.  What should I use for my hair?  Is there lotion that actually keeps me moisturized?  What companies have makeup for my skin color?

This blog is dedicated to compiling those answers.  I plan to discuss beauty, document my locs, explore veganism, pop culture, and feminism.  I feel like all of these things are interconnected and really, truly matter.  Especially pop culture. Hopefully, it will be a fun time.

1 comment:

  1. that background is dope. props to whoever created it.

    ReplyDelete